Friday, June 26, 2009

Abstract of Divinity and Religion

I tend to get into many philosophical conversations with my friends and my family. The conversation and thoughts that just seem to be lingering lately is the abstractiveness (I love making up words: P) of divinity. Let me explain, when a child comes to you and asks how god/goddess can be listening to, and answering, prayers from everyone on the planet at the same time... what would you say to them? Would you say that it is because god/goddess is such a powerful being that he can be everywhere, and do everything? This statement is still quite confusing, and very hard to wrap your mind around. It is because divinity, or the one supernatural being that created us all, is such an abstract concept that it just doesn't make sense. We try to put the concept in a confined box to explain it, which in turn makes the whole concept of divinity even more confusing. I have really been pondering this lately and here is what I think:
We all have divinity within us, around us, it is everything and nothing. Everyting combined in the entire Universe creates this power. So when we pray, or do rituals and spells where we use the gods and goddesses we are in a way praying to ourselves for help. Asking that divine light within us, and around us, to shine and help us on our paths. I don't see the need for religion. In my experience religion is a system of rules that govern the spirituality of a mass group of people. When I think of religion I can't help but think of a prison. It, to myself, is like a prison for ones spirituality. I believe that every single person has a spirituality that is unique to whomever they are, like a spiritual fingerprint if you will. With this belief religion does not make sense. Why would you put yourself into a structure where your spirituality was hindered by the rules and boundaries (and not to mention fears, is some religions)of religion? I cannot wrap my mind around this. Spirituality and divinity cannot be put in any label of any form. The ideas are so different and abstract that to try and form it into some sort of norm doesn't work. An arguement that could be made for religion is the fact that it brings together spiritually like minded individuals for community, belonging, and fellowship. I do like this aspect of religion but still don't see the need for it, could we not just have spiritual get togethers? Where we find people we connect with and just enjoy that time? I feel it to be an outmoded and stagnant system that is crumbling and soon to fall. And from the debris we will all find out true spiritual selves once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment